The Horse and Jockey has reflected the life of the village through the years and In the post war period became a popular country pub serving the new car owning population as well as the villagers. In 1952 Harry and Joyce Sheppard became landlords and kept the pub for 36 years. The Horse and Jockey had only served cheese and raw onion as a basic snack for drinkers, but the Shepherds began serving the Chicken and Mushroom pies made in Gosditch Street by Mr. Gear in his backhouse in the Old Chapel.
The stables were converted into a Skittle Alley in 1953, and the Inn boasted 13 teams in the 1960's. Opponents included USAF personnel from the nearby bases, and they in turn brought the American custom of the summer barbecue to the pub garden. An 18 hole putting green was made on the lawn in the 1960's costing one shilling a round.
There many beautiful houses and some excellent examples of Cotswold stone buildings, especially along Back Street, with some equally impressive abodes along Gosditch and the High Road. Worth a day visit or detour from the standard tourist traps further north.
- << Prev